Curriculum and Assessment
The Spero Academy curriculum reflects learning in a multi-age, cooperative and developmentally appropriate manner, where individual growth and modality are emphasized. Each student’s progress is created by programming at an individual level to reflect their learning styles, strengths, and personal goals and align with the Spero Academy mission. Spero Academy takes pride in small classroom sizes for small group or individual learning to implement curriculum to meet the needs of diverse learners.
K-3 Literacy Plan
As part of the state’s emphasis on having every student reading at or above grade level by the end of grade three, Spero Academy has developed its local K-3 literacy plan. The state requires every district to develop a literacy plan.
The local K-3 literacy plan is a systemic approach to help all students learn the necessary reading skills by the end of grade three. The development of this plan continues the district’s emphasis on literacy. The elements of the plan include:
- How the district will ensure reading proficiency for all students by the end of grade three.
- The process to assess students’ level of reading proficiency.
- How the district will notify and involve parents.
- How the district will intervene to assist students.
- How the district will provide professional development for teachers in the area of literacy.
Spero Academy assesses student progress through State, District, and informal assessments.
Below is a link to Spero Academy's 2017-2018 District & State Testing Schedule.
- 2018-2019 State and District Testing Schedule
- 2018-2019 State Testing Calendar
- 2018-2019 ACCESS Testing Schedule
- State and District Assessment Information
You can find information from the Minnesota Department of Education regarding statewide assessments below:
- Frequently Asked Questions: Why Statewide Test Results Matter
- MCA Parent Fact Sheet
- MTAS Parent Fact Sheet
- ACCESS Parent Fact Sheet
- Parent/Guardian Guide and Refusal for Student Participation in Statewide Testing
Please contact Susan Scheller for more information.