Occupational Therapy works to promote success and independence with a variety of school based tasks.
- Develop fine motor skills to improve performance on tasks such as handwriting, using scissors and other school materials.
- Assist in the development of visual motor and processing skills for success with many academic tasks, such as writing and reading.
- Lead regulation groups where students work on learning how to reach the calm, alert state needed for success with higher learning.
- Support independence with self care and functional living skills in a school setting.
- Provide environmental modifications and sensory supports.
- Develop and oversee sensory diet and movement based activities to promote attention and regulation throughout the day.
Implementing school wide based program to develop foundational sensory and motor skills necessary for academic readiness.
612-465-8600, voicemail 610
I went to school at the University of Minnesota, where I got my Bachelor's degree in Kinesiology and then my Master's degree in Occupational Therapy. I have experience practicing in the clinical setting, as well as in a variety of local charter schools. I have now been with Spero Academy for about 5 years, and I am so thankful to work at such a unique school. I love how Spero sees the student first, and has designed such a personalized learning environment that promotes growth in so many ways. As an Occupational Therapists, I enjoy promoting independence in the occupation of being a student. I look forward to a year full of learning, growth, and fun!
612-465-8600, voicemail 626
Hi, I am Lucy Rosenquist, a Registered and Licensed Occupational Therapist. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Physiology (2008) and a Master's Degree in Occupational Therapy (2013), both from the University of Minnesota. I have been here at Spero Academy since spring of 2014, and work with students in kindergarten up to 6th grade. I continue to learn more tools to help kids develop the important skills they need to be successful students, including Handwriting Without Tears, Creating Sensory Friendly Environments, and Stimulating Maturity through Accelerated Readiness Training (S.M.A.R.T.). In my free time I enjoy spending time with my family, boyfriend, and cat, traveling, reading, sewing, and riding my bike.
612-465-8600, voicemail 620
It is a pleasure to start my 6th year at Spero Academy. My 17 years experience as a pediatric occupational therapist includes 6 years working with children with mental health diagnoses, sensory integration challenges and learning disabilities in residential and day treatment programs; followed by outpatient therapy in sensorimotor based clinics and school contracts. My passion and continuing education focus on improving children’s foundational developmental sensory, motor and cognitive skills with activities children enjoy and can do on a regular basis; increasing children’s independence with maintaining a calm regulated state; and increasing children’s innate enjoyment of learning and interaction with their environment and the people in it. Outside of school, My husband and I enjoy being active outdoors together with our 2 adult children and our teenage daughter.